Press & Notices

Travelling to the Philippines

Application for Waiver of Exclusion Ground (WEG)


One night of bliss between Trixie OuiOui and Lino Matipono resulted in the birth of a beautiful child, Rolly, nine (9) months later in Toronto. Now 14 years old and holder of a Canadian passport, Rolly wants to travel to the Philippines for a week’s stay in Boracay. His parents, who wisely got married 5 months before his birth, will not accompany him. He will be traveling only with a family friend who knows somebody in Katiklan.

Question: So that Rolly may be allowed to enter the Philippines unaccompanied by either or both of his biological parents, what particular document must his parents apply for or comply with aside from the required Philippine visa?

Answer: Rolly’s parents must apply for a Waiver of Exclusion Ground (WEG) at the Philippine Consulate General. The requirement of WEG is stipulated under Section 29(12) of the Philippine Immigration Act, which states that “children under 15 years old who are holders of foreign passports and traveling unaccompanied by, or not coming to, a parent in the Philippines may not be allowed to enter the country, unless admitted by the Commissioner of Immigration through a Waiver of Exclusion Ground.”

The Bureau of Immigration has issued the latest requirements for applications for WEG and these are:

1. Affidavit of support and consent (duly notarized by the Consulate; fee is CAD 40.00) by either parent, naming therein the person who will be accompanying the child to the Philippines and with whom the child will be staying in the country;

2. Clear photocopy of the data page of the child’s passport;

3. Clear photocopy of the data page of the passport of the accompanying adult;

4. Duly accomplished visa application form and payment of CAD48.00; and

5. Payment of WEG fee of P3,120.00 upon arrival of the child at the Immigration Office in NAIA or an international port of entry in the Philippines.

All applications for WEG are approved by the Head Supervisor of the Bureau of Immigration at NAIA (or an international port of entry) in the Philippines, subject to the presentation of the above-mentioned requirements.

Note that minors holding Philippine passports NEED NOT APPLY for WEG.

With this clarification, the Philippine Consulate General hopes to have laid to rest any questions about WEG.

Download WEG Form

(_originally Posted on November 7, 2001_)

Return to Travelling to the Philippines  |  Return to News Main